Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

​​How do I identify the storage usage for groups in an Office 365 tenant?

Last Update: 11/30/2016 3:47 PM

​​How do I identify the storage usage for groups in an Office 365 tenant?

Answer:

Identify the storage usage for Office 365 groups in an Office 365 tenant to ensure that you purchase enough licenses to successfully complete an Office 365 group document migration.

Follow these steps to identify storage usage for all groups in an Office 365 tenant:

1. Connect to Office 365, Exchange Online and SharePoint Online PowerShell using global admin account credentials. Read the Connect to all Office 365 services in a single Windows PowerShell window article from Microsoft to learn more.
  2. Once connected, run the following command to export a CSV of the tenant's groups and storage usage to your C:\ drive's root folder:
    $Groups = Get-UnifiedGroup
    $Groups | Foreach-Object{
    ​$Group = $_
    $site=Get-SPOSite -Identity $Group.SharePointSiteUrl -Detailed
    New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property @{
    GroupName=$site.Title
    SiteUrl=$site.Url
    ​CurrentStorageInMB=$site.StorageUsageCurrent
    }}|select GroupName, SiteUrl, CurrentStorageInMB | Export-csv c:\Groups.csv​
    ​​
  3. Open the "Groups" CSV file. The file lists all of the groups, document library URLs, and the current storage usage in megabytes.

groupscsv.png
  4. Read the Which migration license should I choose? article to determine how many document migration licenses you should purchase for the amount of data that will be migrated. ​